For our first play-along game we will play Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 Ultimate, which is a ROM hack for Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 (Gameboy Color). This guide will help you get your hands on this fantastic game so you can play it on your computer – don’t worry, it’s easy!
Step 1: Download a Gameboy Color emulator.
An emulator is an application that allows you to play a video game (in this case, a Gameboy Color game) on your computer.
Simply Google “GBC Emulator” and you should be able to find one easily enough. GBC Emulators are available for just about every platform out there – including Windows, Mac, Linux, and even iOS/Android.
Download the emulator and extract it to a folder anywhere you want.
Step 2: Obtain a “Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Cobi’s Journey” ROM.
A ROM is a file that contains the game itself. You’ll tell your emulator to load this ROM, which will allow you to play the game.
In order to obtain one of these legally, you’ll need to dump your physical game cartridge for “Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Cobi’s Journey”. The Tara version probably won’t work with the hack, but you can try it if you want.
Step 3: Download the “Ultimate” ROM hack for DWM 2.
Remember, we’re actually playing a modified version of DWM2, so we need to apply a hack to our ROM.
For the sake of our integrity, we’re not going to risk giving out a direct link to this hack. Google “DWM 2 Ultimate” and it should be the easy enough to find on a site called Romhacking.net.
To apply the hack to the ROM, you’ll need another application called “Lunar IPS”. Again, just Google it.
Next, extract “DWM2U-Cobi.ips” from the .zip you downloaded that contains the hack. Also, extract “Lunar IPS.exe” from the second .zip you downloaded.
Step 4: Apply the hack to the ROM.
Run Lunar IPS.exe.
Click “Apply IPS Patch” and search for DWM2U-Cobi.ips which you should have extracted in step 3.
Next, select the ROM file you obtained in step 2.
You should now have a patched ROM file!
Step 5: Play the game!
Now, start your GBC Emulator and look for an option like “Load ROM” or something similar. Locate the ROM file you just patched in step 4, load it up, and you should be good to go!
You won’t be able to see any immediate changes to the game when you first run it, but after you receive your first monster, make sure it’s a level 5 Gismo. Otherwise, if it’s a Slime, the hack wasn’t applied and you’re just playing the vanilla version of the game.
If you run into any issues, we’ll be glad to help you out on Discord: https://discord.gg/U2aMSKK
Enjoy! Let us know what you think about the game on Discord or in the comments on our podcast episodes.
Bonus: Starting Tips
This hack makes the game a lot harder than the vanilla version, especially early on. Here are a few tips to get you started if you’re struggling:
- There are a lot of monsters to collect in the first area (Oasis), and the monsters you can obtain are different from screen to screen. Some screens might contain a Snaily, for example, while the next one over might contain Slime Knights. Search each area for the monsters you think are strong. Personally, I recommend you pick up a Slime Knight as soon as possible because they can buff their DEF so quickly that enemies won’t be able to deal damage to you.
- You’re going to need to do a lot of grinding early on or the first boss will annihilate you. To speed up the grinding process, you should consider turning on your emulator’s “fast forward” mode. Some emulators allow you to this by increasing the FPS of the game, while others call it “hyper mode” or “turbo mode”. Search through your emulator’s settings and see if you can find it.
- The first boss is against some really hard-hitting enemies. You’re absolutely not going to beat them without some grinding, along with smart party composition. My strategy was to put all my monsters in the stable except for one, and level him up alone. Monsters split their experience points gained after battle, so if you’re only using one monster, it will gain triple the normal experience. I leveled up a Slime Knight until its DEF was so high that the enemies couldn’t deal much damage to me, and then spammed Herbs on it to keep it alive while it tore the boss to pieces.
- Party composition really matters a lot in this game compared to its vanilla counterpart. If you’re stuck on a boss and think your monsters are already at a high enough level, consider swapping some of them out for different monsters with different skills that complement your party.
- Gold is really hard to come by early on, so using the inn to restore your creatures’ HP isn’t much of an option. Luckily, Herbs are scattered all around the overworld and you should find more than enough to keep your monsters’ HP pools relatively high.